Fall DIY Miniature World Challenge - Secret Bloomy Nook becomes Parker's Spooky Brew Cafe'

Video here in case of any uploading issues!: https://www.instagram.com/p/Dd5sLRAFSrT/?stkn=cTFrZmY0cjFkcnhu

Community members know my teddy bear, Parker, from his personalized ice cream truck and his Sakura treehouse. But October is Parker’s favorite season, because his birthday is on Halloween! (Parker is a 2005 Starbucks Bearista Bear - despite being a bear, he is eternally dressed as a black cat for Halloween…although he’s turning 21 years old this Halloween and is a bit worse for the wear. He lost his pumpkin trick-or-treat basket some years ago!)

Some months ago, I won the Spin & Win game and received Secret Bloomy Nook as my prize! I loved the kit immediately, but can’t seem to leave a kit unchanged, and had been thinking of making it Parker-themed. The World Challenge provided just the prompt I needed!

I covered the walls of the Nook with some old scrapbook paper from my stash (a former cardmaker, I have a large stash of old scrapbook 12x12 pads and all manner of cardstock, stamps and inks). And I used furniture markers and wood-grained washi tape to make the woodwork all stained a deep reddish tint.

The spiderweb paper provided the perfect backdrop for my transformation and dictated a trip to the store for some glow-in-the-dark spiders.

Fresh off my Amelie modification of Street Scene, I was in the mood to keep experimenting with embedding LEDs in resin. I added orange glow powder to the UV resin, stuck the LED in the middle and cured it. It worked! I then remembered I had a claw with a marble in its clutches from a creepy project I did years ago. Hoarding for the win! The new resin LED sphere fit perfectly into the claw, and the light fixture was born. I did the same thing with the small pumpkin at the front of the cafe, and Cricut-printed a friendly jack-o’-lantern face.



The pumpkins and jack-o’-lanterns from the Robotime Creator Pack were perfect for this project (thanks, @Robotime for that wonderful gift!).

The multi-drawered apothecary cabinet provided the next big challenge. I filled it with beads, real cinnamon stick pieces, brown eyeshadow shavings for “cocoa powder,” and small crystals for sugar. It was fun to come up with all of the ingredients Parker needs for his specialty coffees! :slight_smile:

I decided he needed a pastry case as who wants a basic PSL without some kind of treat?! I added a couple of small lights to illuminate the Halloween-themed goodies. YUM!

It’s not the most elegant solution, but I wanted things to really GLOW! So I used a separate battery pack with a black light LED strip and attached that to the ceiling. I tried to cover up the lights with a frosted piece of acetate, but they’re still somewhat obvious. Oh well! Experiments are always fun.


Did I go overboard with all the little props and details from my stash? Of course I did! “NoodleSalad” and “maximalism” are always in the same sentence. :wink:





Thanks so much to @Robotime for the fall and winter goodies that added so much to the scene, and for spurring us all on to create fun things for SPOOKY SEASON! It’s been a joy to participate in the games and most importantly, see all the beautiful and creative builds you have all been sharing. This community is full of true artists!

Parker and I wish you all a very Happy Halloween! We’re off to start working on making our winter themed Caketopia now! :rofl:



14 Likes

You have done an absolutely wonderful job. It looks amazing. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you! I was more successful building this than I have been at succeeding at the Spooktacular games, so that was a plus! :rofl:

It’s so BOOtiful! :orange_heart: Thank you for sharing

1 Like

This looks like the kit came with all this. It looks completely legit. Really well done here!

1 Like

Wonderful. Spectacular and so cool! !!:smiling_face_with_sunglasses: we’ll done !!

1 Like

Thank you so much, @jeanneL - what a kind thing to say! I’m glad my madness blended in well!

1 Like

I love October and will be adding “boo” to everything possible for the next month! :slight_smile: Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you! When such accomplished builders approve, I am humbled and happy! :slight_smile: :grin:

1 Like

@NoodleSalad wow you done a great job …the wallpaper is great … I live all the additions!

1 Like

Isn’t it the best when we find appropriate additions in our stash? That was a sheet of scrapbook paper that I used to make freebies for a Stray Kids concert in 2023! I love rediscovering and repurposing things from my stash (justifying my art supply hoarding tendencies)…

Thanks for your kind words!

This turned out fantastic. As always, your creativity never disappoints. This is so very cool.

1 Like

Wow! This is an absolutely seamless transformation!

1 Like

Blessed by the queen! Thank you so much, Nita. You’re always so supportive and such a cheerleader to us all. It doesn’t go unnoticed or unappreciated, ever.

3 Likes

Thank you, Melinda! It really stretched my creativity and problem-solving skills. I still wish I had found a way to hide the second battery pack, but such is the risk when you start messing with @Robotime design perfection…

1 Like

You did amazing work. I love your customize

1 Like

Such creativity has really paid off :clap::clap::clap:.

I understand the battery box challenge, I want to add some twinkle lights to my Christmas build and have the same dilemma…

1 Like

Wow, it’s amazing! I love everything—the door is divine, and the interior is packed with details!

1 Like

@NoodleSalad the pastry case is great and the coffee machine is the details are great you done a fab job !

1 Like

This is such a fantastic transformation! I love how much personality you’ve given the nook, especially all the little details for Parker and his Halloween coffee shop. The resin lights, apothecary cabinet ingredients, pastry case, and all those tiny props are amazing. You definitely did not go overboard, the maximalist look makes it so much more fun to explore! :heart:

1 Like